What is an example of an indent?
When you press the “Tab” button in a word processing program so the first line of your text starts further inward than the second, this is an example of indent. A space left when you “tab” to move text inward in a word processing program is an example of an indent.
What are the 3 types of indentation?
- First Line Indent – Indicates the position of the actual bullet character.
- Hanging Indent – Indicates the position of the actual lines of text.
- Left Indent – Adjusts both the above markers and keeps their relative spacing.
What are indentations of a document?
In word processing, the word indent is used to describe the distance, or number of blank spaces used to separate a paragraph from the left or right margins. The following is an example of indented text: Paragraph alignment against left margin.
What are the 2 common types of indentations?
- Left indent: indicates space between the “paragraph” and the “left margin”.
- Right indent: indicates space between the “paragraph” and the “right margin”.
- First line indent: used for “first line” of a paragraph.
- Hanging indent: used to define position of the text lines “below first line” of the paragraph.
Is there a program to convert between indentation styles?
There are many tools to convert between indentation styles, such as indent, a program included with many Unix-like operating systems. In Emacs, various commands are available to automatically fix indentation problems, including hitting Tab on a given line (in the default configuration).
Are there any other languages that have indentation style?
This article largely addresses the free-form languages, such as C and its descendants, but can be (and often is) applied to most other programming languages (especially those in the curly bracket family ), where whitespace is otherwise insignificant. Indentation style is only one aspect of programming style .
Is the size of the indentation independent of style?
The size of the indentation is usually independent of the style. An experiment performed on PASCAL code in 1983, found that indentation size significantly affected comprehensibility. Indentation sizes between 2 and 4 characters proved optimal.
What is the name of the indentation style in Emacs?
Stroustrup allows writing short functions all on one line. Stroustrup style is a named indentation style available in the editor Emacs. Stroustrup encourages a K&R-derived style layout with C++ as stated in his modern C++ Core Guidelines.