How do I write an OCS recommendation letter?
- Open with a specific recommendation for the individual and program.
- Call out the most prominent character traits for success in the program.
- Explain the personal relationship to give credibility to the praise.
- If possible, tie the writer’s military experience and credibility to the candidate’s potential.
Is it hard to get into Officer Candidate School?
Only about 60 percent of all those who apply are accepted for attendance at OCS. Civilian college graduate and current military candidates do not compete with each other for available OCS slots.
What looks good on an OCS application?
They will look at the following criteria:
- Be in good health. Anything that will disqualify you from enlisting will disqualify you from being an Officer.
- Past experience.
- Nobody cares what your ethnic background is or what gender you are.
- Have a clean record.
How do I apply for Officer Candidate School?
, you must be:
- A college graduate with at least a four-year degree.
- Must not have more than six years of Active Federal Service (AFS) upon arrival at OCS.
- Between 19 and 32 years old (you must enter active duty or ship to training by your 33rd birthday and accept commission prior to age 34)
How many letters of rec do I need for Army OCS?
Yes, it requires THREE letters of recommendation from community leaders / highly influential persons, such as high ranking officers or senior enlisted personnel, congressmen, university professors, or company CEOs. Preferably, these folks know you well and can truthfully attest to your potential as a military officer.
How do I ask for a letter of recommendation?
How to request a letter of recommendation
- Choose who you want to write your letters.
- Prepare a resume or brag sheet.
- Ask in person first.
- Send a formal letter of recommendation request.
- Follow up before the due date.
- Say a final thank you.
- Ask early to give ample time.
- If you sense hesitation, ask someone else.
Do you get paid during officer candidate school?
Congratulations, you scored a “paid internship.” Now, how will you receive pay at Officer Candidate School? Pay at OCS is through the standard military pay system (DFAS). Prior to shipping to OCS, candidates will submit direct deposit forms and a voided check to their Officer Selection Office.
How hard is officer training?
The Air Force Officer Training School is small as it commissions fewer officers every year compared to the Air Force Academy and AFROTC. Therefore, it is not easy to gain acceptance for Air Force OTS but is well worth the effort. The nine-and-a-half week course is extremely demanding physically and mentally.
Do you get paid at OCS?
Pay at OCS is through the standard military pay system (DFAS). Prior to shipping to OCS, candidates will submit direct deposit forms and a voided check to their Officer Selection Office. Candidates, being paid as a E-5 does not make you a Sergeant.
How to write an Officer Candidate School letter of?
As such, officer candidates must submit letters of character with their application packets. A letter of character reference should accurately reflect the writer’s knowledge of the applicant. You want to address character traits necessary for a military officer when you write your reference letter to the officer candidate school.
How to apply for Army Officer Candidate School?
DA Form 705, Army Physical Fitness Evaluation Scorecard, (with two scores and one being within 2 months of local board date) Medical Examination (Type “A” medical examination within 9 months before date of application, must state physical is for OCS)
What is the mission of Officer Candidates School?
The mission of Officer Candidates School (OCS) is to educate and train officer candidates in Marine Corps knowledge and skills within a controlled and challenging environment in order to evaluate and screen individuals for the leadership, moral, mental, and physical qualities required for commissioning as a Marine Corps officer.
How old do you have to be to go to Officer Candidate School?
Applicant who has less than a Bachelor Degree must also attain a minimum score of 850 or higher on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), or a minimum score of 19 or higher on the American College Test (ACT). Test scores must be less than six (6) years old.