What does a drain auger look like?
A plumbing auger or plumbing snake is a long, flexible metal cable with a small, uncoiled spring on one end and a handle on the other. The auger head on the snake looks like a corkscrew. Home plumber’s snakes are usually around 50 feet long. The cable coils up when you’re not using it.
What is the best tool to unclog a drain?
Tools You’ll Need to Unclog a Drain
- The first tool to reach for when trouble arises is a plunger.
- To dislodge clogs located farther down the drainpipe, use a cable auger, or plumber’s snake, a long, flexible steel cable wound around a spool that’s fitted with a hand crank.
What is the best drain auger?
Here, the best drain snakes available on the market.
- Best Overall: FlexiSnake Drain Millipede Hair Clog Tool.
- Best for Toilet: Ridgid 59787 K-3 Toilet Auger.
- Best Budget: Green Gobbler Hair Grabber Drain Tool.
- Best for Hair: BrassCraft 20 in.
- Best Extra Long: Husky 1/2 in.
- Best Powered: Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Drain Auger.
Are augers the same as drain snake?
Drain snakes work for smaller drains like your kitchen or bathroom sink. Drain augers tackle larger pipes like your toilet or shower drain. The snake covers lines from 1-1/4″ – 2″ range, and you’ll use an auger for lines in the 1-1/2″ – 3″ range. When they do, it’s often from roots growing into the pipes.
How do you unclog a sewer line with a snake?
The basic process is as follows:
- Push the end of the snake into the drain opening and turn the handle on the drum that contains the coiled-up snake.
- Keep pushing more of the snake into the drain until you feel resistance.
- Rotate the snake against the blockage until you feel it feed freely into the pipe.
How much does it cost to snake out a drain?
The average plumber cost to snake a drain is $100 to $275 for a toilet, sink, tub, shower, or laundry drain. The average cost to snake a main line is $150 to $500. Roto-Rooter prices are $225 to $500 on average to snake a drain.
What is the best drain snake?
The FlexiSnake is the best drain snake in the category as it’s the least expensive and the most effective. With thousands of micro-hooks, the FlexiSnake will easily gather and remover all the hair and soap buildup from the clog.
Can I use a toilet Auger in a sink?
However, you can unclog a sink or a tub using a tool named Sink Auger. NOTE: Do not use Sink Auger to remove a clog from a toilet. For toilet, you can use “Water Closet Auger”, also known as “Toilet Auger”.
What is the best toilet snake?
If you want to reach very far down into your drain pipes, Cobra Plumbing’s 20500 is the best toilet snake to buy. It has a long 50-foot cable that is made out of high carbon, round diameter spring steel wire, which is strong enough to go those lengths without kinking and very durable because it is rustproof.
What are drain augers made of?
Also known as a water closet auger or plumbing snake, this device is designed to move through the drain of the toilet to remove the clog or obstruction that’s causing the stoppage. Augers are usually made of metal.