How do I remove a file association in Windows 7?
The Answer. Deleting the sub-key with the same name as the extension you want to un-associate will delete the default program association. You’ll have to kill and restart explorer.exe for this to take effect. You may also need to remove the same sub key from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT as well.
How do I change the default program for icons in Windows 7?
Right-Click the file type you’d like to change, and then Select Edit Selected File Type. In the Edit window that appears, Click the … button next to Default Icon. Browse for the icon that you would like to use, and then Click OK from both open windows to apply changes.
How do I reset my default programs in Windows 7?
How to restore default programs in Windows 7?
- Click the Start menu > Find Default Programs and click it.
- Choose Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Select the file type or extension you want to associate with a program > Click Change program…
How do I remove a file association?
How to Remove File Type Associations in Windows 10
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click System.
- Then from the left window pane select Default apps.
- Click on Reset under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults.
- That’s it you have reset all the file type associations to Microsoft defaults.
How do I change a file type in Windows 7?
In Windows 7, to change a file extension, first, make sure file extensions are visible using the steps above, then:
- Click the file to select it, then click once more.
- Click and drag over the extension, type the new extension and press Enter.
How do I change the default video player in Windows 7?
In Windows7, we can set default media player for opening video/audio files as follows.
- Click on Start button.
- Search for ‘set default’
- Click ‘Set your default programs’ in the search result.
How do I remove a file association from the registry?
Remove a File Type Association Using the Registry Editor
- Start the Registry Editor ( regedit.exe ), and go to this branch: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bak.
- Note down the (default) value data in the right-pane.
- Right-click the key .
- Go to the following HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys and delete the .