What is Mariental famous for?
It was proclaimed a town in 1920 and a municipality in 1946. Mariental is home to a large number of Nama-speaking people, descendants of the early Khoi inhabitants of Namibia. The people of Mariental are known for their big smiles and hospitality.
Who built the Hardap Dam?
If one were to build a solid concrete wall one meter high and one metre wide from Cape Town past Keetmanshoop in the south of Namibia, one would need the same amount of concrete that was used to build the recently-inaugurated Neckartal dam west of Keetmanshoop.
What is the old name of Namibia?
South West Africa
6. It was formerly known as South West Africa. The country became Namibia in 1990 when it was granted independence from South Africa, which had taken over the territory during the First World War.
When was Namibia named Namibia?
In 1966 the Marxist South-West Africa People’s Organization (SWAPO) guerrilla group launched a war of independence for the area that was soon named Namibia.
Where is the city of Mariental in Namibia?
UTC+2 (South African Standard Time) Mariental is a city of 10,000 inhabitants in south-central Namibia, lying on the B1 national road 232 kilometres (144 mi) north of Keetmanshoop and 274 kilometres (170 mi) southeast of Windhoek.
What kind of farming is done in Mariental Namibia?
The town is surrounded by flourishing commercial farms which, due to the low annual rainfall in the area focus on game farming as well as sheep and ostrich farming which along with cattle farming remain popular in the region. Export grapes, cotton lucern and diary farming is also sustained by irrigation from the Hardap Dam.
When was the Mariental dam in Namibia built?
Construction began in 1960 and completed in 1963. Before the dam was built, Mariental was flooded in 1923 and 1934.
How did the town of Mariental get its name?
Mariental is home to a large number of Nama-speaking people, descendants of the early Khoi inhabitants of Namibia. Named by local Rhenish (German Lutheran) missionaries, The town was founded in 1912 as a railway stop between Windhoek and Keetmanshoop and named after Maria, the wife of the first colonial settler of the area, Herman Brandt.