How do I find deceased relatives military records?

How do I find deceased relatives military records?

If you’re the next of kin of a Veteran who has passed away

  1. Mail or fax a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).
  2. Write a letter to the NPRC.
  3. Visit the NPRC in person.
  4. Contact your state or county Veterans agency.
  5. Hire an independent researcher.

How long does it take to get military records from St Louis?

about 10 days
Allow about 10 days for us to receive and process your request before checking your request status. You may also telephone the NPRC Customer Service Line (this is a long-distance call for most customers): 314-801-0800.

Is a general under honorable discharge bad?

A general discharge under honorable conditions means that your service was satisfactory, but did not deserve the highest level of discharge for performance and conduct. Many veterans with this type of discharge may have engaged in minor misconduct.

Where is the National Archives in St Louis Missouri?

Address National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, Missouri 63138

Where are the military records at the National Archives?

The National Archives holds Federal military service records in two repositories: The National Archives Building in Washington, D.C., for Revolutionary War – 1912 National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC), in St. Louis, Missouri, for WWI – present.

Where can I find military records from World War 1?

Military records from WWI – present are held in the National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC), in St. Louis, Missouri, See details of holdings. The National Archives does not hold state militia records.

When does the National Archives open to the public?

The National Archives opens all records to the public 62 years after discharge. Learn how to access archived records If the Veteran was discharged less than 62 years ago, you may be able to request limited information from their Military Personnel File. Find out about general public access to military records

About the Author

You may also like these